Are you hands itching to take up some woodworking projects during weekends? No matter whether you are a greenhorn or have some prior experience in working with woodworking tools, here are five DIY woodworking plans which can be implemented straightaway. Once you build these simple pieces of furniture, not only are you going to be proud of ‘creating’ something out of practically nothing, you can show them off to family and friends too.
1. A stool: Building a stool is perhaps the simplest of all woodworking furniture projects that you can take up. In case this is your first attempt at working with a woodworking project design, creating a stool can take away any hesitation you may be harboring about building furniture. Of course, there are endless varieties of stools but you could start to build the ‘simplest’ variety – that essentially consists of three boards. Two are for the legs and one is for sitting. For additional stability to the stool, you could consider adding a perpendicular lath between the legs. Building stools with four legs is easy too but slightly more complicated.
2. A table: Using table woodworking plans to build a table may appear to be a bit more complicated for the simple reason that a table normally needs longer legs and also additional support for stability. But essentially, this piece of furniture also consists of a plank and legs, just like the chair. Of all the home woodworking projects, creating a table allows you plenty of opportunities to be creative. For example, you could build tables of different shapes like rounded, folding or with any other exotic top.
3. How to build a kids’ toy: Like for grown-ups, there are also woodworking projects for kids, using which you could create a wooden toy for your kid. Standing in a class of its own amidst plastic and remote controlled playthings, a wooden toy could be created using both simple and complicated processes. It involves plenty of details as well as some precise measurements. However one of the simplest kids’ woodworking projects is to create a wooden horse riding toy. You need to pay extra attention while building wooden toys to make it safe for the kids to play with.
4. An outdoor shed: If the DIY woodworking plans have hit you real hard, you could plan to build an outdoor shed. Not quite suitable for rank beginners, an outdoor shed would need walls, door and roof that require not just wood work but also the use of concrete and gravel. This obviously requires some prior experience with woodwork projects.
5. Tree house: Some might want to include this as one of the woodworking projects for kids. Yet, once complete, this can be used by both kids and adults. Safety and stability are the prime concern areas for this item. To ensure this, you would need a lot of planning, backed by high quality materials, knowledge of woodworking, engineering, landscaping and perhaps gardening too.
Finally it is always better to start off with simple woodwork projects before you try to accomplish major jobs which require several other skills other than wood working.
Here is a great youtube video that teach you how to build a wooden box.